Each month we are going to feature a United Judo of Tampa judoka and ask them ten silly questions about their judo experience. Our December spotlight goes to junior instructor, Johnny Desmet. Here are his answers:
1. When, where and why did you start practicing judo?
Nine years ago because we were looking for a new family activity after Karate (long story). We started at the YMCA learning with Sensei Andy.
2. What was your first impression of judo class?
It was very different from previous martial arts we tried because there were no punches or kicks. I had to adjust to the new style but found it quite enjoyable and made friends quickly.
3. What other martial arts have you practiced?
4. What was your funniest moment in judo class?
When my brothers and I went overboard with the chocolate fountain and the holiday party one year.
5. What is your favorite technique and why?
Drop morote seoi nage because I was much shorter than my opponent for a long time.
6. How has judo helped you with other aspects of your life?
It has helped me mature by learning to give way and provide a great stress reliever through high school.
7. Other than judo, what do you like to do for fun?
Play video games (League of Legends and Skyrim) and spend time with my family and friends.
8. Would you rather get mat burn on your face, be choked out, or thrown by Sensei John with makikomi?
Choked out though I try to avoid it. Being thrown by dad is like being run over by a train.
9. Blue gi, white gi or no gi?
White gi - it's easier to get the blood out of.
10. How would you describe your judo persona (competitor, teacher, recreational player, fitness trainer, reluctant judoka, other)
Teacher and recreational player. I enjoy helping others make their judo better while still getting a good workout myself.